pity-riotous
pity-riotous
pity-riotous
pity-riotous
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
Linux on your Apple Mac | iLinux • View topic - Sound on iMac 27" core i5 Karmic Koala

Sound on iMac 27" core i5 Karmic Koala

Sound on iMac 27" core i5 Karmic Koala

Postby linuxopjemac » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks to Q007 we can now listen to sound on the iMac 27" machine:

I've had success with getting sound to work on my 27 inch imac!

1. I installed the backport modules.
Code: Select all
aptitude install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic

2. I opened up my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file and changed the line:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N

to include model=mbp55:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N model=mbp55

I got the idea to try mbp55 from this post that reportedly fixes the sound problem with a kernel patch: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...b9f58d752c05e4

3. I went into alsamixer (just type alsamixer into the console) and unmuted the channels. When in alsamixer, use the left and right keys to change highligted channel, up/down keys to change volume level and 'M' to unmute. If it has a MM at the bottom, you need to unmute it.

This worked for me. I was curious as to why other model=XXXX options had not worked for me, so I went back and tried model=imac27, model=imac24, model=mbp3. These variants have been suggested at places around the web. None of these seemed to work for me. I also noticed that when I made a change to the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file, it seemed to remute my channels. I went into alsamixer and they were muted. I had to unmute the channels again... I dont know why.

I'm pretty sure all three steps are needed. Good luck to you getting it to work. If this does or doesn't work for you, please post back here.

Q

original post
linuxopjemac
Site Admin

Return to General