pity-riotous
pity-riotous
pity-riotous
pity-riotous
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
Linux on your Apple Mac | iLinux • View topic - Installation report Debian Squeeze iMac 11,1

Installation report Debian Squeeze iMac 11,1

Installation report Debian Squeeze iMac 11,1

Postby linuxopjemac » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 pm

OK, finally got around it, but this is not trivial. I guess this is the price you pay when you want to run Debian Stable and you need a recent kernel for your hardware...

Short howto install debian squeeze 6.0.1a on your iMac 11,2 (model june 2010):
1. in OSX: Resize your OSX-partition (f.e. 100GB)
2. in OSX: Install rEFIt
3. Reboot with Debian netinstall-CD
4. In rEFIt choose to start from CD (if this doesn't show immediately, restart until it does)
5. Install Debian the way you want it to (the wireless keyboard worked in the installer, but the magic mouse didn't, so I chose the regular install)
6. After installing the bootloader, you have to choose to 'go back' and then 'open a shell'
7. Issue:
Code: Select all
    cd /
    chroot target
    aptitude install gptsync
    gptsync /dev/sda (followed by 'y')
    grub-install --force /dev/sda
    aptitude install firmware-linux
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list (enable the contrib and non-free repo's and add the squeeze-backports and wheezy repo's)
    aptitude update
    aptitude -t wheezy install linux-kbuild-2.6.38
    aptitude -t squeeze-backports install xserver-xorg linux-image-2.6.38-bpo.2-amd64 linux-headers-2.6.38-bpo.2-amd64
    aptitude -t wheezy install fglrx-driver fglrx-modules-dkms
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list (disable the squeeze-backports and wheezy repo's)
    aptitude update
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable the fglrx-driver (a short Device-section with identifier and driver is sufficient)
    exit
    exit

8. Choose to finalize the install and reboot

If something went wrong, and you're still not able to boot into gdm3, you can remedy it by editing the grub-commandline (issue an 'e') and adding 'single' after the line that ends with 'ro quiet'. That way linux will stay in text-mode.

I struggled a lot to install all the packages in the right order, so it might be that the above is to simplified and thus wrong - but I'm sure that all the mentioned packages should be installed from those repositories. If you stray from the 'one possible order', then aptitude will try to install all sorts of packages from Wheezy and/or just ignore your wishes to install anything.

All of this will be much easier once linux-kbuild-2.6.38 hits debian-backports. Then you can just install the image, the headers, kbuild and xserver-xorg out of the backports-repo and then take fglrx from wheezy.
linuxopjemac
Site Admin

Return to Installation